Last update: 2022/09/30
This production report is only valid for ClickClack's Vertex Angle GB;
The content of the report will be updated regularly with production progress.
Wait is over! Your groupbuy order is shipping!
We are happy to announce that: our fulfillment team have shipped majority part of Angle orders to shipping partner. So look out for the shipping notification email soon!
- There are a very small number of orders will be shipped around 10/10 because of the China's 7-day National Holiday. But good news is that there will be some free bonuses included in your package.
- Also, we have sent out few emails to customers to confirm badge customizations which haven't receive any reply yet. If you added badge customization options, please do take a look at your original order email (and spam folder) and reply to us promptly!
- Inspect your Angle Kit: Once you receive the Angle Order, please promptly inspect your unit for CNC/Surface defects and, most importantly, test the PCB and DB throughly. We will service defects free of charge within 30 days of delivery. BTW, Angle R2 PCB already has native VIA support. In case of any issues, please email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org! We are always happy to help!
- Extras: After all groupbuy orders are received and serviced, we will have extra add-ons for sale (PCB, Plates and things). There will also be extra Angle kits. Time is TBD. But we will definitely ping you in our Discord Server in advance!
On behalf of Vertex, thank you for all love and support!
QC and Sorting
- Angle orders are arriving in batches and ClickClack have started sorting them
- 76% of orders have passed QC and packaged
- First batch of Angle Shipment will be sent to ClickClack in this week
- Around 65% orders have been packaged
- All cases are ready and Vertex team is waiting for more PVD weights to come
- Brass weight oxidation protection:
- Some additional pictures of Vertex's order sorting process:
- All keyboard cases, including coated versions, have arrived
- 170 full kits passed QC
- R2 Production units for reviewers have been shipped. You may start to see Angle build again. Blacksimon and LightningXI have confirmed with us for the rebuild in coming weeks.
- China region fulfillment has started
- Coated units are arriving in batches. Almost all anodized units have arrived
CNC (including Surface Treatment)
- PVD Mirror weights are arriving in batches.
- Bordeaux Colorway:
- Around half of anodized colorways, plates, weight arrived
- First batch of coated case is on the way to Vertex warehouse
- Around 300-400 top and bottom cases with anodized colors are ready. Cases will keep coming in as batches.
- Weights are also coming in as small batches
- In the meantime, Vertex team is doing QC.
- Bordeaux and Coating will go into production. Vertex have received pre-production coating cases:
- Color matching has been completed.
- Made minor adjustment on case dimensions to accommodate coating layer and waiting for new pre-production units.
- To ensure the best overall coating color uniformness, coating is done in one pass. Acorn is using brown top case with light brown bottom case. At the Acorn's JST cable channel, due to the depth and sharpness of stepped edges, there is a possibility that coating on sharp edge might be slightly lighter. This is covered by JST Cable (this surface is treated as Gamma Surface, refer to QC Standard for more), so it's not treated as defects. See picture below:
^ Production PVD SS weights
- PVD SS Weights went to production phase. We are happy with the outcome.
- Compared with prototypes, the production version's mirror surface is improved by leveraging better polishing technic.
- PVD SS yield rate is similar to R1.
- Minor issue of over polish on some reworked parts and have informed manu
- Completed CNC for over 50% of cases. Surface treatment in process.
- We have received some anodized cases (final product level) and they look more beautiful than R1.
- Coatings will start on May
^^^ Pre-production Sand-Blasted Brass Weights
We tested two way of coating brass weight:
- S1: thick clear coating. With better anti-oxidation protection but will make the weight looks dull and excessive coating may accumulate around edges of cuts.
- S2: thin clear coating. With less anti-oxidation protection but show sand-blasted effect better and less coating accumulate around edges. More importantly, it keeps the metallic appearance better than S1.
- Difference of S1 and S2 is thickness of coating. However, oxidation of brass cannot be eliminated completely even with thick coating. We are happy with the manufacturer's brass coating solution.
- We were using 58% Cu Alloy for pre-production. And in production, 62% Cu Alloy will be used for better appearance.
- We have chosen S2 solution for production.
- All brass raw material received stress-relieve treatment.
- To minimize oxidation, brass weight production will be done in the end of production cycle.
- Mass production has started;
- In the process of mass production, we will repeatedly verify the stability of materials, the reliability of structural parts and effectiveness of assembly through staged production to ensure all Angle are delivered to you as soon as possible;
- During these couple weeks, we have also made some adjustments and optimizations in the production process;
- After testing, we found that the plate will lose some of its "flex" due to the added powder coating on the aluminum plate. Angle’s Leaf Spring structure around the aluminum plate will deform when typing. Elasticity of metal material can be impacted by the powder coating. We decided to change the original coating aluminum plate to anodized aluminum plate. The plate color changes are as follows (ONLY applicable to coating plate, NO change on case):
- Venus: coated sesame gray→dark gray anodized aluminum
- Acorn: coated brown→black anodized aluminum
- Rock: Coated Cold Gray→Dark Gray Anodized Aluminum
- Lolo: Coated Green→Light Gray Anodized Aluminum
- Starry: Coated Flash Black→Black Anodized Aluminum
- Optimized the position of the hanging point to minimize its appearance inside of the case;
- Addressed the issue of residual acid in the screw holes during the anodizing process;
- Adjusted the positioning of internals: lowered the internals by 0.15mm to increase the offset between keycap and keyboard edge.
PCB and Firmware
- PCB remake completed and all issues have been addressed
- PCB QC process discovered issues on switch pin hole being too large and an error on SMD component installation. Vertex had submitted request to remake new batch of PCB
- Firmware engineer is preparing PR for Angle QMK and VIA native support. JSON file will be available for you to configure via offline VIA / VIAL.
- PCB pre-production started
- Pending QMK merge
- PCB sample received. Tested daughter board connection, firmware and LED.
- Added full VIA support with different layouts
Redesigned circuit layout of the PCB to improve stability and reliability;
Optimized the corner arc of PCB arc to provide better restriction of internals;
A SMD RGB LED will be added to the ESC key, which can be turn on/off and utilize lighting effects;
Improved the diodes packaging to prevent them from falling off;
The USBASP interface is added in this PCB, which will make testing and debugging process more convenient;
Native QMK and VIA support are planned in April and are expected to have PRs merged before delivery.
Accessories and Packaging
- Vertex rejected first batch of PCB Shims (due to inconsistent coating), new batch of PCB Shims have been ordered and will be arriving soon.
- Under Switch PE Foam was using CR material and Vertex upgraded it to IXPE
- All packaging has arrived.
- Packages production have started, ETA end of April
Redesigned the serial number cards and specification stickers in the packaging, and also plan to give more instruction labeling for accessories.
At present, the packaging has been proofed, and some optimization items and problems will be solved during mass production;
Re-selected the silicone material of corner pieces (used to restrict internals) to improve assembly experience;